Reading Reflection No. 2


Bringing In A Second Opinion

·         How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big, Scott Adams
1. The general theme or argument of the book was based on a few ideas but the most obvious to me were the importance of healthy diet lifestyle and using long-term system instead of setting goals that don’t really fulfill you. For example, “goals for losers” idea, means that

2. In my opinion, the book connected with and enhanced what we are learning In ENT3003. At the beginning of the course we debunked the myths of entrepreneurship. Many people believe that you must be creative, have that one big idea and are either born not born with the “entrepreneurial mind, but in class we learned the truth of entrepreneurship and being successful. I believe this book correlates with that. It tells us entrepreneurship is not easy and that we may have goals but it is grit and willpower that we have limited supply of and that is what we need to carry on.

3. The exercise I would design for this class based on this book would involve us writing out a list of our yearly, monthly and daily goals. Then we would come up with a few systems as well that could better our odds. Then we would evaluate our lists to see which one was more helpful.


4. My biggest surprise or ‘aha’ moment when reading the book was his quote “goals are for losers”. One of his ideas that really stuck with me is that maybe success causes passion and instead of solely relying on passion, why don’t we implement simple systems that move us. I have trouble with this when it comes to long-term life decisions. I am currently at a crossroads in my life where I am trying to decide if what I am doing is what I really want to do. I set these goals for myself and accomplish them and I look back wonder what was the importance of stretching myself out like that? I am not saying goals are bad, I still believe they are useful but he is just suggesting the we “need simple systems that improve our odds”. And I would have to say I agree with him.




                                                                   

Comments

  1. Hey Beau!
    I also read the same book! I loved how this book greatly related to what we learn in class, which is that real entrepreneurs face failure and hardships all of the times, but that they are able to overcome these obstacles by staying determined. As for your idea of an exercise that we can do in class, I also mentioned something very similar in mine! I love the idea of goals and systems, and I think they can be very helpful and important in helping people achieve what they want in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beau!
    I read this book too and actually had the same 'aha' moment as you. Hearing the line "goals are for losers" was really strange to me at first but you are right in saying simple systems increase one's chances of higher success. Hope you enjoyed the read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beau,
    Just like you, Shelby, and Kathleen, I too read this same book- mostly because the title stood out the most. My "aha" moment was a but different than yours, I chose when I learned that rather than just having goals, I needed an actual system to fulfill my actual entrepreneurial endeavors. The "aha" moment was when I realized that ENT3003 is doing exactly that! Overall this book really did teach a lot, and there were many lessons to learn from it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts