Celebrating Failure
In my Survey of Calculus 2 class,
I failed my first exam. I was even more frustrated at myself because I prepared
for this exam and knew how to do the problems but in that moment, I just
blanked. Looking back, I should have prepared even more for it, the trivial
things I was doing for it were not enough. Being that blank before, it was very
frustrating and annoying at the same time. I was determined not to fail my next
exam so I decided to prepare even more, I still did not pass. I didn’t blank this
time nor did I fail but I didn’t get the grade I wanted either so to me, I just
failed again. For the third exam, I was determined to change my grade around, I
couldn’t afford to drop this class, I needed to Ace it the first time. After
studying on days end, losing sleep at night, and pulling all-nighters, I took
the third exam and scored well on it. To say the least, I was so relieved. I
was scared that I didn’t pass again, and afraid that I might burst into tears
in front of my friends but instead I saw my scores and started dancing like
crazy. .
I learned that one’s pride can
really hurt someone. Because I had aced my math exams in previous classes, I
believed that I would be able to take this class and not worry too much about
it. Boy was I wrong. Therefore, I believe failure humbles people. You learn to
let go of your pre-conceptions and each opportunity you keep an open mind are
start the experience humbled.
Beau,
ReplyDeleteI can relate very personally to your post because I took survey of calculus 2 over the summer, and unfortunately, I did not pass the class because I am not a "math" person and it has always been a difficult topic for me. I agree that it is very frustrating and sometimes hard to pick yourself up after not doing well on multiple or even just one exam. I also agree that failure does make people more humble and helps them grow their character and personality.