Figuring Out Buyer Behavior
12A-Sketching out the Beginning of the Buyer Behavior
Process
Pick
a Segment:
I chose the segment of middle-aged full-time
working women who usually need evening wear for business functions. Because
women are working more and more, they will need evening wear, furthermore,
since 65% of American women are plus size, the INDUSTRY will most likely pique
their interest. My goal is to find out if working women are willing to spend
extra on evening wear that caters to their body types and has more quality.
Report
the findings of your research:
I interviewed three women. One professor
and two nurses. The professor had two daughters, the first nurse had four
children and the second nurse had 5 children. After these interviews, I
realized that all these women don’t mind spending more on gowns they believe will
flatter them more. When talking to each woman, they all stated that when they
become aware of their need for an evening gown is when they must attend a
conference and they go into their closets and realize they don’t have a good
dress. They then begin to be filled with dread due to bad experiences in the
past. The nurse says she hasn’t had bad experiences just that she likes wonderful
things which causes her to hurt her wallet. They then began talking about how
they start preparing to buy gowns. Most of them shop way in advance because
some of the gowns they order online tend to not fit in certain areas so they must
get it tailored. One of the ladies stated she sometimes doesn’t attend the
event if it isn’t mandatory just because she doesn’t want to go through the
hassle. For one of the nurses, she stated before she steps foot into a store, she
goes online and googles search phrases such as plus size gowns near me. For the
second nurse, proximity is important to her. She would like to go to the store
and try it on because sometimes one part of the gown doesn’t fit in a certain area.
Also, the first nurse stated that because she is so busy she has her kids do
the research for her first and check if the styles are “hip” enough after they
filter the bad stores out for her, she then goes and visits those stores. When talking
to the professor, she said her sister where’s the same size as her so she
usually refers to her advice on the best stores to go to.
Draw
Conclusions:
Based on what I know about this segment and
what I learned in my interviews, women are really concerned about how gowns fit
on their unique body types and how their time is being spent when searching for
gowns. Although these women are worried about the sizing, they believe the customizer
would help reduce their stress. Because they love to search before they go
ahead and purchase a gown, I think it would be do good to have a friendly user
website and a strong supportive online community. I believe it would also be
very important to increase good Word of Mouth advertising for Industry since
most plus size women go to the stores their family/friends recommend to them.
Hey Beau,
ReplyDeleteI think you’re headed down the right path. It’s great that you want to offer clothing to plus size women, I think it’s essential for them to feel confident at all times and their clothing options play a significant role in that. There was a time in my life, after I had my second child, I gained so much weight that I didn’t want to go out in public, nor go shopping because it was always stressful when it should be therapeutic. Also, you’re right, I believe most people are reverting to online shopping these days, Word of Mouth would be the best way to promote INDUSTRY.
Hi Beau!
ReplyDeleteI can see how the segment you focused on can bring you great success in this business! I believe that the interviews you had with these women can really give you a good idea of the kinds of needs women have when looking for evening gowns. It is great that you want to make a website that is user friendly so that customers can have easy access to your business. As for Word of Mouth advertising, I believe that is the best way to grow your business, especially when it is brand new.
Beau,
ReplyDeleteYou picked the perfect segment to target. I agree that this is the group that you need to target, but I also believe that you can target girls in their older teenage years. Girls in this stage of life generally have low self esteem. This is also the group of females that have a number of events like homecoming, prom, quinceneras, etc., which means the demand for evening wear is high. The percentage of teenagers purchasing plus-size clothing has almost doubled from 19% to now 34%. Your idea for an online and actual store is perfect because it appeals to women that fall on each side of the spectrum. I also agree with yo when you say that word of mouth is the best way to promote your business. I feel like it ensures credibility, and will bring you the "right" kind of business.